Taking responsibility and finding purpose

More than two years have gone since I came to Germany. It feels like I am living my dream life. I recently finished my studies and started working full-time at a multi-national company. I am being paid well and have enough time outside of work to explore my hobbies. I have been hiking, traveling, going to book clubs and poetry events, meeting new people and exploring spirituality. Never in my life have I been more spiritually inclined than right now. The Bhagwat Geeta gives me mental strength, humility and guidance to live my life.

I have realized why Indian people turn to God when they live outside of India. They frequently engage in festivities, Indian gatherings and Bhajan Kirtan events. In short, they want to feel close to Indian culture and Indian people when they live outside. Part of the reason is also because life in Western countries tends to be lonesome and hyper individualistic. Most people do not have anyone whom they can trust outside of their spouse and children. This is one of the disadvantages of leaving your home country in search of better prospects.

Nevertheless, it has been one year since my relationship with my ex-girlfriend ended. It was not a blowout fight or a dramatic ending. We simply parted ways in a mutual agreement. I have previously coped with the loss of a person from my life and so, it was less painful this time. Isn’t it interesting that people change their spouses or partners, but they hardly replace their best friends? I have been blessed with a couple of best friends who helped me get through this tough time.

As I grow older, I realize life only gets harder. We may get richer, but we can only buy convenience not happiness. Part of the reason most people want a life partner is that they can fight their battles together. Humans are meant to suffer and experience negative emotions such as pain, grief, sorrow and resentment. Every day we fight constant battles for survival; the competition to earn money, to have a big home and a car and raise a family. Of course, it is too much to suffer alone for most of us and so we seek someone on this roller coaster life journey.

So then, is life supposed to be always miserable? Is there more to life than just pain and suffering? I believe the answer lies in what is controllable and what is not controllable. As humans, we cannot choose our circumstances, but we can choose our actions. For instance, if we are anxious, we can choose to workout or engage ourselves in a meaningful activity. I believe if we voluntarily take more responsibility for ourselves, our thoughts and for the society we live in, then we will have a purpose to live for. This means that not all of it is about us. In short, we will live our lives more selflessly; we will commit ourselves for the good of our family and community.

When we want to aim for the greater good of our family and society, we become a happier version of ourselves. When we have the willingness to give, the Universe will give us back more. So, what are the responsibilities we can take on? The first responsibility is the responsibility towards making ourselves better human beings. We need to be kinder, more compassionate and more empathetic towards everyone. Secondly, we need to look for and build long-term meaningful relationships and friendships with like-minded people. A marriage is not built on the foundation of love and attraction; it works because the parties involved promise commitment and mutual responsibility. Thirdly, we should aim to contribute towards the greater good of our society. This doesn’t only include charity. A career path wherein we offer value to other people or aim to make a small but positive change in their lives is equally appealing.

Thus, when we become selfless, we can find our purpose. And when we find our purpose, we can truly find peace and happiness.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The conversation part 1

Chance

A painful memory part 2